Friday, April 20, 2012

Do something you never thought you would do....4/20/09

3 Years ago TODAY I was preparing to leave to the Peace Corps! I posted on my Blog, LIFE IS CALLING. In that entry I wrote:
I propose that in the next two years you TOO try to do something you never thought you would do. Pick up a new hobby, take a trip, do something spontaneous, or COME VISIT ME!!!!A friend sent me a quote today that is so true: "You will always have time for things you put FIRST". Too often we are tempted to fall into a routine or live vicariously through others (T.v. Shows, movie characters, books, friends). Remember--YOU ARE THE MAIN CHARACTER in the story of your LIFE!! 
I'm happy to say that I have taken my own advice in this time. I have lived many experiences and done MANY things I never thought I would do (especially not in this time):

  • Built an oven out of CLAY, COW Sh*t, rocks, sticks, water
  • Eaten food that i've planted with my own hands
  • had my mother teresa/ Princess Diana moments that i'll NEVER FORGET while teaching english on my back porch.
  • Got married on a running trail to a person who inspires me to be better everyday.
  • Delivered my son NATURALLY
  • BECAME A MOTHER--and have started to learn what the truest definition of unconditional LOVE is.
  • Lived in 2 beautiful US cities...now 3.
  • horse back rode bareback on the beaches of Panama, on the beautiful beaches of Vieques,  and horseback rode on the Beach Side cliffs of MALIBU, CA
  • OWNED my VERY OWN HORSE!!!
  • hiked yosemite national park with my family
  • sold furniture and artwork that I MADE!
  • gone actual rock climbing on the green belt in austin
  • ran my first full marathon
  • I've swam in the FREEZING pacific ocean, like a true local...in my bathing suit!
  • "surfed" on the beaches of CA
  • lived 2 blocks from the beach!
  • became a vendor at a farmers market
  • been able to HOLD my entire family in my arms
  • have taught FBI agents spanish
  • Hung out with the US Ambassador to Panama and her husband (who were GATORS!)
  • I've become a character in an ACTUAL book...my own PUBLISHED children's book!
  • plussssss a million more.

SO WHAT if most of those things weren't what I had in mind when I proposed the challenge 3 years ago: try to do something you never thought you would do. Pick up a new hobby, take a trip, do something spontaneous---these still qualify!
It's been a ridiculous journey that LIFE has surprised me with and keeps SURPRISing me with. There have also been some not so happy things that I never thought I would live through, AND (if won't say but, because I don't want to negate what I just said...so AND) overall I must say that I've lived a life WELL LIVED and quite successful if I may say so myself (or according to Emerson):

  • I've laughed a lot and LOVED with all my heart
  • I have won the RESPECT of some intelligent people
  • I have earn the affection of many children---which used to never really be a priority of mine until motherhood.
  • I have won over some critics and made believers out of some non believers, but can't say that I was able to win over the critic that I most wanted to believe in me.
  • I've appreciated the BEAUTY that has surrounded me, whether its taking in a spectacular view, a sunrise, or simply taking a mental picture an unforgettable moment.
  • I have tried to find the best in others...though I have come short a couple times--I'm still trying.
  • I've given of myself...my time, my energy, my thoughts, my ideas, my hopes and dreams. I've been there for friends in their hard times and they've been there for me in my hardest of times. 
  • I know i'm leaving the world a better place with my healthy son, gardens in Panama, SEEDS that i've planted in friendships, and am working on social conditions part.
  • I've played with enthusiasm 
  • I have sung---poorly(so poorly that it has brought my son to tears), but i have sung none the less.
  • I know that many lives have breathed easier because I have lived!
I've filled the passed 3 years with adventures, memories, and experiences that many people live their whole lives yearning for...and this post doesn't include anything about my other 23 years! I know I'm just getting started. Adult life isn't EASY and in the midst of all the hardships, heartbreaks, let downs, and struggles I deal with EVERYDAY I feel light sprinkles of blessing and joys that remind me HOW FORTUNATE I truly am.  Some days it's hard to feel blessed but when I step back and look at my life...I realize that I'm asking to have it all....and NO ONE has it all, especially not all together.

1 comment:

  1. A truly realistic, inspiring reflection. Thank you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.