Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How to Apologize....a less we all need to learn

My mom friend, Stephanie Peterson, in Austin is on my BLOG ROLL(list of blogs I keep up with). She has an amazing perspective on life and marriage...supported by her strong faith.

She posted this today on her Blog:The Candid Pastor's Wife

Marital Conflict: How to Apologize

One of my strengths is perseverance. I can push through and finish most things as long as there’s an end in sight.
Unfortunately, this strength has a dark side: stubbornness. That ability to dig in my heels and hang in there until the bitter end? It becomes the “but you…”s and “I do everything“s when conflict arises in my marriage.
Now I know you aren’t stubborn… but just in case, I wrote this post! I’ve already told you how to fight when you’re married. This time, I want to focus on how to apologize.
There are 4 words you need to learn when having an argument. “You’re right.” and ”I’m sorry.”
Because in every disagreement, your partner is telling some truth. They may not be communicating everything the way it happened or acknowledging how it made you feel. Regardless, there is something in their words that is true. You can hear it when you listen for words that are really saying:
You hurt me when…
I felt disrespected because…
I have been trying really hard to…
And you need to start apologizing by saying, “You’re right.” and then continue by summarizing what they’re right about. For example, “You’re right. It was disrespectful for me to blame you for a trial we’re both facing.”
Then the magic words.
I’m sorry.
And you need to mean it. Don’t say it with sarcasm. Don’t say it to start another sentence of the argument. In other words:
After you say you’re sorry, STOP TALKING.
You’re done for a bit, and it’s their turn to talk. This will revolutionize how your conflicts end.In fact, your husband or wife might just stand there speechless for awhile themselves. Try it – it’s pretty fun to see their face when they’ve actually been heard!
And you have set the pace for the conflict to end amicably, not to mention quickly;)
Challenge: Try it this week, and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.