Monday, January 9, 2012

Marathon Update (Race Change)

MARATHON UPDATE
I've postponed my marathon until MARCH 18th,2012
When I'll be running the HONDA LA MARATHON

Your registration is complete!

A couple reasons why I postponed my Marathon Debut:
1. Honest #1 reason: I wasn't 100% committed to the idea of running a FULL MARATHON and so the rest of the reasons followed...

2. I hadn't bought my flight tickets to Miami  for the ING Miami Marathon (since we just got back, I've been adjusting to my new WORKING MOM schedule, and we are preparing for Nico's Birthday)

3. I was considering doing the AUSTIN MARATHON (February19), but I don't have that many vacation days at work accrued...and when we got to Austin, I don't want to be SAVING my energy for racing, I want to be in 100% play mode to hang out with all our AUSTIN FRIENDS....(see you this spring!!!)

4. It's a LOCAL RACE!!! I'm excited to run across the city i've been residing in for the past year! Plus the local aspect has a bunch of perks:
I can sleep in my own bed the night before the race.  
I may take the next day off from work...but I don't have to set aside vacation time for a trip.
I can control my schedule better as we near the START DATE.  
I will have friends to train with who are RUNNING the Marathon as well!  
No Travel required, which means I don't have to sit cramped on a plane BEFORE OR AFTER my FIRST MARATHON! 
5. The Motivation: I'm really nervous about doing a marathon...but now as I am a few days from celebrating Nico's 2nd birthday I've been reflecting on the events that took place 2 years ago as Delivery Neared...and arrived. Those 26 hours of labor (coincidence hehe) were INTENSE... There was a fear of the unknown lingering, especially the nerves of just how bad the pain was going to feel. The last 4 hours were even more intense and the last 2 were the most PAINFUL I had ever felt. So painful that I thought I was physically not going to be able to handle it. But the human body is amazing. I lived to hold Nico lico in my arms minutes after THE MOST PAINFUL moments in my life. He pushed my limits and showed me that he was always going to be there to test those limits, encourage me to be more, be better, and believe in myself.
So now, even though I'm scared of the pain I'm going to feel during the race, I just have to remember that just like those labor pains faded...so will the race pains that will for sure come. However, I can only be as prepared as I can be, hope for the best, and wait for those pains to quickly fade after the race...to only leave FOND memories of a great BUCKET LIST ACCOMPLISHMENT to be crossed off.



Here is the race course:


How bad can it be...lol?!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. I love how to most people, labor is like a marathon. To Valeria - a marathon is like labor!! Go girl, you got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, a marathon is WAY easier than labor. It's only 4-5 hours!! You can totally do that. And at the end you don't have to push anything huge out of your nether regions. Unless you've done something totally wrong. You are a great runner, and you will be fine. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.