Wednesday, August 25, 2010

WORK-RELATED REFLECTION

Among the many child-friendly activities in my day, I try to squeeze some "JOB-SEARCHING" time whenever possible. In this quest, I have discovered that finding a job is NOT THAT EASY. (i guess a lot of people know that now due to the increasing unemployment levels all around us, but I didn't think that I would be in the situation)Granted, I know that i'm not AS AVAILABLE (because wanting to be with my pumpkin will keep me from putting in over-time...maybe even full-time) as a lot of other people searching for jobs, but still...I have a Degree in ANIMAL SCIENCE BIOLOGY...which for a lot of people doesn't mean much but for those of you who are in med-school now, you know that I had to take ALL the same classes as you for my degree. I also have invalueable LIFE EXPERIENCE in the Peace Corps, where my people, team-working, lost-in-translations skills were sharpend while having to overcome gender-roles and cultural differences in my work-environment. Living in a room the size of 1/2 a dorm room with 2 other teenagers, using an outdoor latine, washing my clothes by hand, wearing damp jeans that didn't dry by the time I needed them, finding snacks along my walks to meetings (fruits in trees), explaining to community members that there is MORE THAN ONE WAY TO DO THINGS, compromising, learning to pick my battles, and just working together with people who have always done things SO differently than me but still GET RESULTS was, I BELIEVE, as valuable or even more valuable than any laundry list of "JOB EXPERIENCE" that employers are looking for.

I thought that with my disposition, openness to learn, passion for making a difference, DEGREE, and experience in the PC, finding a job would be as easy as stealing candy from a baby...NOT!

One thing i've starting to realize is that some people think that the Peace Corps and other experiences like it are not as VALUABLE AS "REAL" work experience....since these same people believe that hippies and tree huggers are the kinds of people who want to "change the world". In Panama, in my group alone we had a couple so called "tree-huggers" who were there to spread the Peace and Love, but there were also guys and girls who had studied all sorts of different things in school (science, english, public relations, communications, Engineering, and linguistics..just to name a few) and wanted to try and make a difference, at least for a little, and gain a different perspective on life.


Instead of staying to work in a REGULAR 9-5 job, they accepted the invitation to serve in the Peace Corps and challenged themselves to actually TEST THEIR LIMITS, take a risk, and LEARN about who they were...before coming back and entering this money-making job world that sucks the life and passion out of the weak...brainwashing them into becoming people they never were when they first entered their line of work. I believe that once you've had a taste of REAL MEANINGFUL WORK...you can't help it but keep searching for another like-minded employer who values the same things you do and who will appreciate your dedication, passion, and drive.


I came across a pretty interesting website today:

http://community.peacecorpsconnect.org/group/jobsearchers
The website has a group for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers that are looking for work. The description reads:

This is for all us unemployed RPCV's that are now home and looking for work! Let's help each other out with advice, links, phone numbers, e-mail addresses of prospects or what not to help us all be employed in the future!

Members: 104
Latest Activity: Aug 18

What employeer wouldn't want to hire someone who understands the importance of TEAM-WORK, who knows how to BUILD RELATIONSHIPS with co-workers and employees, who self-evaluates, is a goal-setter, and gives proper importance to detail while not loosing sight of the BIG PICTURE?


I am hopeful that GREAT OPPORTUNITY IS AROUND THE CORNER. I have too much to share and do to keep it bottled up inside soooo,

The quest continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.