Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Interview Today!

Peter and I decided that Mommy should go to work. A couple hours after that discussion, I had an interview lined up. I know that I want to work somewhere temporary that allows me to be close to Nico, but that gives us a little extra income.

This morning I had an interview at Stepping Stone School. There are a couple positions open near our apartment and the best part is, Nico can go to school with mommy! There are openings available to Nico-aged kids at the same and other locations.
When I get back from Miami I have to go Observe the school where I will possibly be teaching and then I will have a follow-up meeting to discuss, start-date, salary, Nico's enrollment, and other such details. I am excited to see where this road may lead.

One of my first childhood memories of school are sitting my parents down next to all my lined up toys and dolls (as if in a classroom) teaching them whatever I had done for homework. I would then quiz my parents to make sure they were paying attention. Throughout elementary, middle, and high school, this didn't change....maybe the toys were replaced with classmates, but I studied by teaching...one- to make sure i knew the info, and two- to help others understand.
To this day, I enjoy teaching, mainly because I see the look of satisfaction on children as well as adults' faces when they have UNDERSTOOD. I had never considered teaching full time, especially kids, but with Nico now...things have changed. He has tapped into a different side of me....my focus has shifted from Bigger scale things like-making a difference in the world (Peace Corps, law, global studies, health professions) to smaller scale- making a difference in little peoples' lives (teaching)...especially my baby, Nico. It's not to say that I will do this forever, but I feel that working at these schools will give me heads up as to whats coming in Nico's development and will better prepare me to teach Nico more things! I still have my whole life ahead of me to make a difference at a larger scale like I initially planned on.

I know I have the energy and the willingness to learn and adapt to this new job and the obstacles it brings to the table...however, I know it will be lots of fun!

I hope everything works out.

1 comment:

  1. Mommy and Nico are going to school!!!

    You will do great, love you!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.