Tuesday, January 12, 2010

40 weeks 4 days

Yesterday I had an appointment with Dr. Sebestyen, who, thanks to Boglarka, I learned is Hungarian. This week I reached 170lbs!!

The appointment went great. She checked the baby's heart rate, and his movements. She also checked my cervix, 2-3cm dilated and I'm 50% effaced....which means I've made some progress. It's been some good news in the midst of no news.

One of the difficulties of going past your due date is the feeling of incompetence-that's kind of a strong word but it's kinda true. You can't do anything about the delay and yet you are the one thing between the world and your baby...you can't help but feel helpless.
Anxious and excited family and friends "ahh" and sigh sadly when they call and there is no baby news. They mean well with their questions and concerns but at the same time, each is a reminder that you are LATE, that you missed the deadline. I know I'm late for a lot of things but this, I had no control over...I guess it just runs in the family.

There are millions of websites with suggestions of things to do to INDUCE labor...most of which i have tried in the last couple days, and most of which are myths because ultimately, babies come out when they are good and ready. There are some people who believe that it is dangerous to go past your due date. However, it is okay for a couple days because due dates are not scientifically proven to be correct, they are a guesstimate. The due date might be off due to your menstrual cycle, the start date of your last period, or a number of other things. Even if the due date is correct, the baby doesn't have a calendar inside the placenta on which he is crossing days off until his B-Day.

It breaks my heart that my parents might miss the arrival of their first grandson. They are so excited and so nervous that it shows in the way they talk to me and look at me. They keep telling me that they are so happy to just spend time with me and I believe them, but I keep thinking about their 1pm flight Friday afternoon and I wonder if the baby will be able to make it out before then. All I can do now is eat my eggplant and pineapple, drink my red raspberry tea, and walk till this baby comes out...and just hope it's soon.

One of my friends, Lynsdi, had her baby a WEEK ago. She is so in love, so exhausted, and so happy...I can't wait, but I have no choice but to be patient.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! You know the saying: "Dios sabe lo que hace." Your boy will arrive when he is ready. Lots of love and prayers from Miami...please send hugs to your parents for me!
    Love, Terry

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.