Thursday, November 17, 2011

Deadlines don't care...

I'm a little sad to say that I won't have my book available by Christmas as was my goal. Today was the deadline to submit some page layouts. I submitted all my material days ago, but instead of picking a generic layout, I chose custom layouts for each page, which they asked me to send them by today. Due to some unexpected worsening of Nico's ear infection,  my inability to finish last night (since I was exhausted by 1am), a last minute doctor's appointment today (3rd this week), and late napping action, I wasn't able to get my material out until 15 minutes after the Editor had walked out of the office-central time...It was only 4pm HERE!!!!---I know they are all excuses....but that's all I have to hold on to right now. I know it's my fault for not manning up and staying up all night when I had to, not working fast enough, and not putting MY BOOK as a PRIORITY...but I didn't.

In the grand scheme of things, my pumpkin head's health is what is most important....but TODAY i'm a little sad...I feel like I let my self down. The book might not be available til January and print til maybe 3 months from now due to the holiday season and the crazy amount of people who slid their stuff in by deadline because they made-publishing their book by christmas a priority.

It's a hard reality....Deadlines are deadlines. No one cares if you didn't sleep, if you had to tend to a mucousy, ear infected toddler who's been sick for almost 2 weeks, or a sick husband, or if you don't have a SET "work" schedule where you can accomplish what you need to accomplish....They definitely don't realize how hard it is to concentrate when your falling asleep after a long day and the only time you have to "work" is 9:30pm-12am....They also don't know how difficult it is to draw when you have a sneaky buggar head trying to take your "colors".... But I know how hard its been...And I am proud of what i've accomplished in this relatively lonely process where you basically only have yourself to push your self and keep yourself on course.

I'm happy that it's on it's way...and even if I don't get my christmas gift this year....I hope that whenever I do get it...that's it's everything I want it to be.

By the way...I wonder if I can put a deadline to Nico's ear infection...that would be nice. I just want my buggarhead to feel better and SOON! I want my pumpkinhead back by Turkey day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.