Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bye 2010

The new year is getting closer every minute....and so I'd like to reflect a little now that I have a chance (cause Nico is taking a nap). I'm parked 1 blocked from my new apartment in LA infront of the Marina del Rey canal...with the Pacific Ocean crashing to my right, there is a huge flock of white birds (they're a little far so I can't tell if they're seagulls or not) sitting in the middle of the canal...just floating and soaking up some rays. To my immediate left there is a row of palm trees--in the backdrop there are some mountains...with a greyish/purple hue and beautiful white tips...almost like melted frosting. The blue in the sky is that same blue that you see in Miami on those rare cool days---where there is not a cloud in the sky, which makes you wonder of God used Photoshop of his work sometimes...lol.
Behind in the back seat is the most amazing view of all...NICO,especially now that he just woke up. He has a grin from cheek to cheek with those tiny pearly whites sneaking out...with his hair all over the place, and those greenish brown eyes just staring at me as he tells me (without moving his lips) what else I should include in this note.

Gretchen and Myles,Peace Corps Panama friends who were home for Christmas-Myles is from LA, came over last night for dinner. We were taking about the differences in lifestyles here in the US and in Panama. One of the things we all agreed upon was that in the US, we are all too busy, too flustered, too focused on our agendas and schedules, to STOP and look around, sit, enjoy meals together, talk about the weather (lol), or just sit in silence.

Everything happens for a reason...and I really think that I needed the Peace Corps Experience more than my community ever needed me. My short PC experience slowed my life down....in preparation of all the changes that were to come. This past year...would have been a lot more difficult without the patience that I was forced to adapt to in Panama. I learned there that it was OKAY to just do 2 things a day...like with Nico this year...sometimes just going to the grocery store was an accomplishment.
I also learned of the self-fulfillment that comes from helping others....that is very difficult to find when you are just trying to get promoted, get a raise,or beat out a co-worker.
I could see how happy Myles and Gretchen are as they near the end of their service....and how nervous they are to return to the states...a place where we take for granted all the LUXURIES that we have...HEATERS, AIR-CONDITIONING, Carpet, INDOOR SHOWERS, RUNNING WATER, NON-MOLDY CLOTHING, DOCTORS NEARBY, CARS TO GO WHERE WE PLEASE-WHEN WE PLEASE, grocery stores with bonless/skinless chicken breasts, vegetables all year around, IKEA (lol) ----------this is only to name a few things that come to mind right now.

I want to conclude by saying that I feel TOO LUCKY right now...it makes me nervous. I have amazing friends that we left in Austin and miss so much,and all around the US and world (shout out PC group 63, Hungary, Colombia, Hawaii, G-ville, New Orleans, NYC, Malaysia, Barcelona, Puerto Rico, Arizona, Miami!!!) I have a family that loves me so much that there love reaches all they way across the country to here, I live in a place that most people work and save up most their lives to get a chance to retire at, AND------ I have the coolest, cutest, most amazing little family that I can call MY OWN!
This year will be hard to top! Good Bye 2010. Thank you for all the adventures!

No pressure 2011! No Pressure at all, lol!

1 comment:

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.