Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nico's First Thanksgiving!!!!

Our First Family Turkey day!
Dear God, Thank you for everything! You have blessed us with a healthy family that I love with all my heart. You have guided Peter and I in our first year of marriage, you've helped me get back to running, and you have helped us become better parents everyday! YOU ROCK!!
It was a SUCCESS...even though Nico's stroller had a flat right before the race, I had re-do the stuffing cause I burned it the first-time around, and I put the turkey in the oven but it didn't start it...when Peter checked on in 2 hours later we realized the turkey was still room temp!!! Beginner Mistakes I guess...but fortunately everything turned out DELICIOUS!
FYI-we didn't even plan on MATCHING, we just did...lol, we are so IN-SYNC!
We started Thanksgiving off by running the 5 mile TURKEY TROT in Downtown Austin where 17,000 other runners were waiting to kick their Thanksgiving off to a GREAT start!!!
Daddy fed Nico breakfast RIGHT BEFORE the race started...so that he would be ready for the run.

Nico did great on the run...He laughed when we passed people, he cheered for me when we were going up hill and said ah ah ah ah when we were going down hill. Peter met up with us for the last mile and we finished together--34:15...course was about a 1/2 mile short though. It was still a great run for us.
Yes, I am wearing a skirt...it was my first time running in one. I kinda liked it...however i did feel super NORMIE, but then again, I was running with a stroller, a baby, the diaper bag, my phone, the camera....so I didn't look too hard core. Actually, now that I think about it, I looked like I mistakenly stubbled upon a mass of people running in the same direction and just hopped on in, instead of going to Whole Foods for a coffee.

On our way home Nico was practicing his semi-new trick= TOUCHDOWN!!!
When we got home, the preparing began.
Nico and Daddy organized the apartment while mommy got to work in the kitchen!
Here are some pictures of our Thanksgiving Menu
(click for details)
Spinach Articoke dip--made in the crock pot.....yummmmmmy!
Fruit Salad Feta/Strawberry/Almond/Lettuce Salad
Grilled Veggies and sweet Potato stuffing
Sweet Potatoe Casserole- most delicious part of the meal and Cranberry Sauce:
Cooking turkey
Warm Apple Pie with Ice Cream for Dessert!
While I was cooking Peter and Nico were on skype with his family. Later in the afternoon I was on skype with my family. For a while I felt like I was right at home, in the living room with them all. I got to see all the guests at my house in Miami, and hang out with them all. I'm really THANKFUL we have skype!!
Our guests at our first FLORES THANKSGIVING were: Ashish, his sister, and his parents (From Kenya via UK then Maryland....cool huh). They were so nice and made it feel like a real family holiday! Rosa was also here with us for dinner, but had left by the time we started taking pictures.
Nico's Thanksgiving cards!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!!! - very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm everything looks yummy:) And, you even ran on Thanksgiving!! My husband did too in Dallas, and it was COLD. I was very proud of him while I sat inside in the warm:)

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.