Monday, January 24, 2011

St. Monica Catholic Church

Yesterday we biked to a New Church, to check it out...St. Monica Catholic Church, AND REALLY LIKED IT! We even registered.

Granted, it was the children's mass, but there were TONS of kids, Nico's age. He barely paid attention the whole mass since he was mesmerized by the 4 kiddos in the pew behind us.

After mass I did some networking and got some emails about possible teaching positions in the Archdiocese of LA.

Things I liked:
  • The Monsignor was funny and sounded like he really cared about the people in his parish.
  • There was a nice "family" atmosphere.
  • The parishioners all introduced themselves to each other at the beginning of mass-orders of the monsignor.
  • We were within biking distance from our apt!
  • They had DONUTS and COFFEE after mass!!
  • ***they didn't have a 30minute shpeeeal on donating money, actually they didn't even mention it!
On Wednesday they have a meeting for couples interested in getting Married. We got a puzzled look (lol) when we asked the time of the meeting. I then explained that we had our Civil Wedding but not our church wedding yet. A little less confused, they told us that they looked forward to seeing us on Wednesday at 7:15pm!!!
Yes this means that we are actually planning our CHURCH WEDDING NOW!

It was so refreshing and nice to walk-in to that church. I missed that feeling of knowing that the person up there on the alter, representing God, was living out his calling....and was doing his best to share that passion with everyone around.

One the the main things that I took from his homily was:
"You will get more out of life from giving time and love than you will from your new car, your flashy watch, and your latest edition of Prada shoes".
How appropriate for the LA scene, right?....Where everyone name drops with friends, designers, and brands.
I hope that when Nico grows up, he name drops with people lives that he's made a difference in, organizations that he has worked with, and us...his family (whom I hope he grows up to look up to us as role models).

As I was giving him breakfast this morning, I was-again- in awe at how much LOVE I felt inside for this little man. The way he was eating his banana like a BIG BOY....and the way he would tilt his head toward me and wrap his arms around my arm...I could FEEL his love. As he grows up, I want him to share that LOVE with those around him. The world around him is a better place just because he's in it....AT LEAST I know MY WORLD is a gagillion times better now that he's here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.