Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nico will be 3 weeks old tomorrow.

Nico will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. It feels like he's been here longer!
I'm happy to say that we've had a couple visitors. Once I got past my appearance, it was nice to have someone to talk to that actually responds and asks questions. After a couple monologues, it gets a little hard to hold on to your sanity.
Peter and I think he's been going through a growth spurt because he's been EATING consistently. When people say that breast feeding is a FULL TIME job.... they are not kidding!

Being that our family is so far away, it's been kind of lonely here, especially during the day when it's just me, Nico, and his crying. I must admit that some days are a lot harder than others. I showered him today for the first time by myself. I must say that it went a lot better than I expected. Today, for example, has been a good day. Right now I am able to post this entry because Nico is sleeping in the baby Bjorn on my chest allowing me the liberty of using BOTH HANDS! However most days aren't as smooth. They are really trying and draining. On those days, the mix of no sleep and the emotional roller coaster of the past couple months seems to turn into a huge tsunami and crash into me mercilessly. Few things keep me from drowning...one of them is knowing that Nico can't cry forever and that he can't stay awake forever either. Peter throws me a life jacket when he comes home from work, which is truly life saving.

Tomorrow I'm having a visit from the fairy doula-mother. Her name is Sarah and she is a doula that Peter and I met during our Bradley Classes.
doula is an assistant who provides various forms of non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) in the childbirth process. Based on a particular doula's training and background, the doula may offer support duringprenatal care, during childbirth and/or during the postpartum period. A birth doula provides support during labor. Thus a labor doula may attend a home birth or might attend the parturient woman during labor at home and continue while in transport and then complete supporting the birth at a hospital or a birth center. A postpartum doula typically begins providing care in the home after the birth. Such care might include cooking for the mother, breastfeeding support, newborn care assistance, errands, light housekeeping, etc. Such care is provided from the day after the birth, providing services through the first six weeks postpartum. In some cases, doula care can last several months or even to a year postpartum - especially in cases when mothers are suffering from postpartum depression, children with special needs require longer care, or there are multiple infants.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sarah tomorrow just to have someone to hang out with and ask questions about things that NICO is doing...to see if they are normal or not. When I call the Pediatrician, I find it hard to explain certain things that he does.

Well...my time is up...Nico is hungry =)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that things are going well with Nico. It is great that he is a good eater. Yeah Nico.
    When I had my girls, our families were far away. I spent hours and hours by myself with crying babies. It gets better. You will learn ways of comforting your little sweet one and you'll also end up being a better manager of time. Motherhood is pretty humbling.
    Nico is fortunate to have you and Peter as his parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!
    CLaire and david came over this weekend with yummy dinner! It was so nice to have them over!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.