Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bradley Classes have Begun!

Yesterday was our 1st Bradley Class.

All day I was running around with classes and errands so I got home just as Peter was getting home from work and we ran to put our "class stuff" together and shot out the door....late, as usual.

After a few wrong turns, we made it to a really nice Chiropractor center that had a sign on the door "Bradley Method students: USE SIDE DOOR". So we went around. The side door opened up to the room with 12 eyes that turned to stare at who was late, just kidding, no one stared, they welcomed us in.

We had missed the other couples' introductions, due dates, and location of giving birth. We told everyone our info and continued with the class. Later I found out that 2 other women in the group were due the same week as me, one other one was due 2 weeks after, and the last was due in early February. This is one of the first times that I didn't want to be in the lead pack....but nature has it that I'm in a close second place. We will see come January who wins.
Ohh: FUN FACT is that everyone in the class in having a BOY!

A little about the class itself...

It was mainly conversation where we talked about the Bradley method, the C-section rate in Austin (40%), Dr. Bradley, Lamaze, common myths about birthing, the importance of nutrition, and other such things. I realized that the little brown spots (freckling look-a-likes) on my nose and cheeks could be due to a protein deficiency. My assignment for next week is to fill out a report of everything I eat for a week (meals and snacks) and try to count how much protein I consume. I should be somewhere in the area of 75 grams per week!

Then there was a section on relaxation, and in the last section, we saw a little movie of a natural childbirth (Mexican woman at home in a tub). Most of the class found that it was peaceful and painless...yet I started to get really nervous about giving birth in general. It seems like it really hurts for a COUPLE HOURS. The instructor kept making remarks that it was a lot like running a Marathon. I've never run one! I've only run a 1/2 marathon...which didn't feel that bad, and I was in and out of there in 1 hour and 30minutes. Lets say the full takes a little longer than double of that, 3 hours and 30minutes...that is a lot of time to endure pain. One of the girls that was there said that her friend was in labor for 41 hours!!!!!
Anyway, enough of those thoughts.

The baby was moving in there the entire class. He would not sit still. I would catch myself looking down at my shirt and just staring at the movements across my stomach.

Overall it was a great experience and we learned a lot. Peter liked it too. Dr. Bradley (the guy how started this program) was a big supporter of having the dads feel-Part of the process and delivery.

We have lots of homework: things to read, things to do, and things to find out!!!

check it out: http://www.bradleybirth.com/WhyBradley.aspx

2 comments:

  1. SUUUPER EXCITED!!!!!! que lindos....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Valeria,
    The spots on your nose and cheeks are also likely to be hormonal. Really. You are a well fed gal with plenty of protein.
    As I shared with you on South Congress, I had three babies using the Bradley method of birthing babes. It was fast and sweet. Fear not, half marathoner. You are up for the awesome challenge.
    Isn't it exciting that you and Peter are doing this together?
    marybeth reid

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.