Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dr.'s Appointment from HELL

In movies and in life you hear about women making a big deal about "liking their doctor" and "feeling comfortable with their doctor". I didn't understand why it was such a big deal until this past appointment. Our current ObGyn is Dr. Eng. The other woman in her practice is Dr. Winn. Dr. Eng recomended that we meet Dr. Winn because there is a 50% chance that she might be on Call when I go into labor.

My very first impression was great. She was confident outgoing, and loud. I thought I liked her until she started talking. She measured my stomach, heard the heartbeat of the baby, and asked me if he was moving normally. THAT'S IT!

From there on, the appointment was downhill. She talked about the risks involved in childbirth and how NO ONE is guaranteed a child when they get pregnant. She told me that they only way she could guarantee that I could go home with my live safe baby would be to have a C-Section on week 39 (one week before the due date). She said she would be willing to wait a week after the due date but then she would sit and have a serious TALK with me because the risks at that point would just be increasing and there would be NO benefits accumulating. At one point she even said that even if babies do survive, no one is to say they won't get cancer at the age of 8 and die, or get hit by a car at the age of 10. However true that may be, it is not the place or time to be discussing these possibilities.

Though Peter and I like Dr. Eng, knowing that there is such a high chance that this woman might be there at the time that I go into labor just makes me upset. So upset that Tears were rolling down my face as I walked out of the room. I couldn't believe everything that had just happend. She was very realistic and told me the truth, that there are risks involved in giving birth naturally. But I didn't like how she forced her own opinions on me.

I do hope that this terror of a doctor isn't there when I give birth. The idea of switching doctors, however late in the pregnancy this may be, is sounding more and more RIGHT!!!!
Peter wasn't at this appointment, but I really wish he would have been, so that he could have witnessed the natzi of a doctor who pummeled her way through our appointment with no regard to the emotions that her words were invoking.

Stay tuned to see what happens with the Odyssey of the ObGyn!

2 comments:

  1. Talk to Dr. Eng about your concerns. Maybe she will make the effort to be there for your delivery.
    Dr. Winn has a losing bedside manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an appointment with Dr. Eng in a couple days, I'm gonna talk with her then and see what the chances are that she could be there at the time of delivery.

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.