Friday, August 28, 2009

The world we live in...

What kind of world are we living in that Priests are congratulating me for keeping my baby.
Yesterday I went to talk to Fr. Willie at Belen. Peter and I had a couple questions on the actual process of getting married..since niehter of us have any idea...hahaha. We talked about what the Church as an institution recommends and then we talked about what he personally recommended that we do.

In the midst of that conversation, he said: "Though out of the prefered order, I am very proud that you kept the baby." I didn't know what to say. What has this world turned into that the expected is for someone my age to "get rid" or "not keep" her baby...the expected even by the religious members of the community.

I wanted to say Thank you, but all I could do was force a smile out. I don't think that I deserve him to be PROUD of me something that I should be doing. I think back on school and remember when friends would get good grades, their parents would reward them with gifts that started as toys and escalated to cars toward high school. I always asked my parents why I never got any gifts for getting good grades or for my good behavior...they would always answer, because that is what you SHOULD be doing.

We can't change the world we are living in right now, but maybe, just maybe, there is a slight chance that we can change the direction in which the world is going. This new step for Peter and I isn't going to be easy but i'm sure that if God brings you to it, he'll bring you through it...and much stronger on the other side. Maybe through our experience, some of our friends, and the little part of the world that we affect, can start seeing the change in the world that we want for our baby to live in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.