Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Decisions, decisions...

With the Huge list of THINGS TO DO, and numerous unknowns in our lives right now, it has been extremely difficult to decide almost ANYTHING.

As of right now, I'm on the 21st week of being pregnant. That officially means that I'm more than half way through this process. The weeks are creeping by on us. Before we know it, I'll be giving birth somewhere (Austin or Miami). With the speed at which the weeks are going by, I fear that the last 4 months of the pregnancy might be lost in the commotion of planning other things. If only the world could be put on hold while Peter and I get to live these next months together, then we could resume with all the decision-making and not miss out on any more of this time. Yet, we are all aware that life doesn't give you the option of PAUSE, REWIND, FAST FORWARD, or STOP. Life's only option is PLAY and so we must keep living and adjusting accordingly, not forgetting that the most important thing in our lives right now is this baby's health.

Sometimes I worry that I should be doing things differently, but then I think back on the words of Dr. Carbone in Panama: Keep doing everything normally, you don't have a Condition or an Illness, you're just pregnant. The first 4 months went by so smoothly that I didn't even notice I was pregnant, so we can't begin to change too much now.

The women that I met and worked with in Santana would work normally out in the fields and would do their daily activities almost til the time they were ready to give birth. At that time they didn't rush to hospitals or doctors, they stayed home, and would have their babies there.
I'm not saying that this is what I'M going to do, but it's comforting in a weird way to know that babies can be born safely and healthily without any special care. I am grateful and glad that we will be able to provide special attention and care for our baby. It is a privilege that a lot of people in the world can't afford and don't even dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.