Monday, August 24, 2009

First Entry!

Hello Everyone!

I've been keeping a blog for the last couple months of my experiences in Panama with the Peace Corps. Blogging was not only theraputic but a great way to share my experiences abroad with all my friends and family. It has also been a great way to track the memories and both the big and small events that impacted me throughout my time away.

I have ended my service in Panama due to some life changing news!



A couple weeks ago I found out I was 18 weeks pregnant with a baby boy. After finding out the news, everything changed. I spoke with the Peace Corps Medical Staff to find out what the process was to get Medically Seperated. With the help of my parents who were both in Panama, I went into my community and told them the news and that I had to leave them earlier than I had promised. They were all upset but kneew that I wasn't leaving because I didn't like it there, but because I was carrying a baby. They even started coming up with nicknames for the baby like: Hojaldra, mamon, and patacon.


Leaving Princesa, caramelo, and the community was one of the hardest things i've done in the later part of my life. But as I did it, I knew that I would come back with Peter and our baby. I know that when they do come back, they will be amazed at what the baby and I did during the first months of his life.

I left one life behind to come start a new one with Peter. I came home to Miami to meet family and friends who welcomed us home with excitement.



He then surprised me with a trip to Puerto Rico. I thought is was a little get-away for the two of us since we hadn't seen eachother in 4+ months, but his true intentions of the trip were revealed when he proposed with a beautiful dimond ring on the beach at sunset, WHILE HORSEBACK-RIDING!! We spent some time in Vieques wandering the empty beaches, soaking in the sun, and just being. Our trip ended with a whirlwind visit to Ponce, across the Island, where we met up with Leilani.

When we got back to Miami, our parents surprised us with an Engagement Dinner Party with all our friends and family members. Definitly an emotional night.

The next couple months will be everything but NORMAL! But Peter and I are mentally preparing ourselves to, as Montalvo ( my cross-country coach in High School would always say) Expect the unexpected. There is a lot we need to do and learn in the coming months but we're taking life one step at a time right now.

We hope you enjoy this blog as much as we will enjoy having it.
Today is a very important day as well cause...it's Daddy Flores' Birthday!
Happy Birthday Peter! Hope you have a great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.