Friday, April 15, 2011

Work- update

In January I applied for the LIS-Learning Instructor Supervisor. Since then I had been doing office hours, "training" with the LIS who was leaving, and helping out with the transition. I never thought I had the job for sure since they were looking for someone full-time and I can't work full time for 2 reasons 1- Nico starts daycare in July and 2-my Berlitz teaching schedule is really PACKED due to the lack of teachers for the next 6 weeks...and so If I got the position, they would need to replace me in the programs(and there is no one to replace me).

A couple days ago (WEDNESDAY), while at the office, IN PASSING, the director just mentioned...that I was no longer being considered for the position.
Yesterday was my last day at Berlitz (in the office)--a little sad for me. As I walked out, I got a simple--articulated Thank You from the director, who was on the phone and couldn't put the person on Hold for a second to SAY Bye. I know that I made a difference while I was there for the teachers and the students especially--I wasn't asking for a goodbye party or a parade, just for a simple...we are going to miss you or thanks for all the work you did to make OUR lives easier--Maybe that's too much to ask for.

Unfortunately, in the time I was there, I saw things that I didn't really like but I was willing to work anyway because I knew that I could improve upon those aspects and potentially FIX those things. However, in the end, it's better that I didn't get the job, cause it wasn't the right place for me.

I need to be somewhere that is looking for a hardworking self-motivated employee who takes opportunities to improve the environment around--not just focus on completing the minimum requirements in the job description. I want to work at a place that expects their employees to think outside the box, be creative, and really believe in the overall mission of the company.

I am a loyal, hard worker who doesn't take extended bathroom breaks or continually text- messages with friends during time that I'm being PAID to work. I work efficiently and quickly to do as much as I can and be as HELPFUL and PRODUCTIVE as possible.

While at the center, I went beyond my duties to assist other employees and students and tried to organize and update files & information to improve the activity flow of the center in General. I created a google group for the teachers to interact, exchange experiences, and connected to other teachers at the center (since most teachers don't even know who the other teachers at the center are--due to the varying schedules). I also proposed, set up , and prepared a "Conversational Session" Project for students so that they could practice their target languages outside the "classroom setting" at a restaurant.

But anyhow...What I can take from this experience and this time? (i'm gonna try to keep these as positive as possible)
  • organization makes a WORLD of difference.
  • BAND-AIDs as a SHORT-term fix can lead to HEMORRHAGING in the LONG-term
  • some people notice when you care and listen honestly.
  • NOT all companies have HIGH expectations, some just want to GET BY.
  • My high school cross-country shirt from freshman year said "Hard work is the minimum expected not the maximum". Unfortunately--that work ethic wasn't instilled in EVERYONE who has a job--Some people just sneak through the system--and manage to keep their jobs.
So for the next 6 weeks i'll still be working for Berlitz, teaching part-time, an FBI program and at the New Zealand Consulate, but hopefully after that, I'll have found something else--more regular, with a different company.
Today I took care of one of Nico's friends, Andreas. He got here at 7:45am. We have had a great time. We played, went for a stroll in the double bike trailer, ate yummy snacks, played in the "sandbox", and are currently taking a nap! It took a while to get them (namely Nico) down, i'm not gonna lie--that part was hard. But the rest was smooth sailing. I wouldn't mind hanging out with these little men on a regular basis... Patty (Nico's sitter) has it made! She's in the right business.

I'm not back at square one--but pretty close to it...hahaha,lol. Any Ideas???

1 comment:

  1. Those suckers at Berlitz don't know what they are losing!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.