Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kelly's Big Race!

So it's kinda the IN thing now to run 1/2 marathons and triathalons and things like that.
Kelly Allegro...I forget that she has a new last name...hahaha, is preparing for a 1/2 Marathon in Napa Valley. Unlike me--just running it to improve my time, she is doing it for a GREAT CAUSE! Here is her letter to Family and Friends that i'd like to share with you, in case you don't get one in the mail....

Dear Family and Friends,

I’M RUNNING A HALF MARATHON!!!!!!

As many of you already know, the past two years has been quite a challenge bouncing from doctor to doctor trying to determine the cause of my ailments. After numerous medical exams, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in August of 2010. Through this exhaustive process I have created much empathy for those affected by this disease. Being the proactive person that I am, I have discovered Team Challenge.
During my involvement I learned of an upcoming event in which I am ecstatic to be a part of. I am currently training with Team Challenge to run the Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon on July 17th. I feel honored to be involved with Team Challenge that will help raise funds and awareness for research leading to a cure for Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are known together as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). These two IB Diseases are painful attacks on the digestive system and as of today, are medically incurable. The cause of IBD remains unknown. However, the effectiveness of recently developed treatment methods and steady advances in research brings us closer every day to finding the cause and probable cure of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
My personal goal is to raise $4000 for Team Challenge which benefits the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America. The CCFA has funded more than 1,100 grants allocated to research for IBD. More than 80% of every dollar I raise will directly fund the mission of CCFA, to cure Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
Being personally affected, I am dedicating my time to raise funds and awareness to this great cause, in efforts to improve the quality of life of children and adults who are also affected by IBD. I am hopeful that you will join me in the fight against Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis. If you would like to help, you can mail me your contribution check, payable to CCFA, or by visiting my website and making your generous tax deductible donation to the CCFA in my honor.
Please make your donations before May 14th, 2011, my personal fundraising deadline. I thank you in advance for your generosity and most of all your support!
Love,
Kelly

So make sure you check out her website. Her personal goal for raising the $4,000 is MAY 14th,2011. That's in 5 1/2 weeks! Peter, Nico and I will be in Napa on July 17th to run alongside with Kelly and cheer her on! We can't wait. Good luck Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes to Live by:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.